Monday, November 16, 2009

Muhallabia Massawa

This dessert rocks.  I remember when Roxie was just learning how to talk and she'd get all excited when I made this, saying "Malli SAWA!!!!" with her eyes big in anticipation.  I like it because it's easy, and it's good.  The two most important things to cooking when you have a 2 yr old and a baby.

This dessert hails from the Red Sea port city of Massawa in Eritrea.  It is commonly served for dessert during Ramadan, the Islamic month of fasting.  I got it in a Moosewood cookbook a while back.

I love the combination of cinnamon, cardamon, and vanilla.  I have made it with rice milk, cows milk, and coconut milk... and it tastes great every time.  So use whatever kind of milk you fancy.

1 cup sugar
1/4 cup cornstarch
1/2 tsp of ground cinnamon (okay so I don't REALLY measure, I think I probably add more than this honestly)
1/2 tsp ground cardamon (I just add equal-ish to how much cinnamon I add)
4 cups milk of your choice-- this time I used coconut!  Sure to make it nice and creamy and give it a hint of coconutyness.  Yum
2 eggs, well beaten
2 TB butter, at room temp
2 tsp vanilla extract

Add sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon, cardamon to a medium saucepan.  Gradually add just enough milk to make a paste.  Then, whisk in the remaining milk.  Add the beaten eggs.

Cook on medium heat, stirring often, for 12-15 minutes, until it thickens.  As it begins to thicken, stir constantly to ensure an smooth texture an prevent sticking.  Remove from heat and add butter and vanilla.

Pour into six dessert cups or wine glasses and refrigerate for at least 45 minutes- until cooled.

I put mine in wine glasses, because I'm cool and fancy like that.  Everything tastes better out of a wine glass, don't you think?  Well maybe not beef stew.... or a few other things I can think of.... but THIS definitely tastes better out of a wine glass.



Roxie's is the one in the dessert dish.  She is still napping so I haven't washed the saucepan yet so she can help me lick it clean :)

No comments:

Post a Comment